Wednesday, September 8, 2010

When my team members and I tried to create different problem sums based on the question on 39 x 4. We were seemingly stuck with only 3 variations. We had been taught from young the fixed methods of doing Math. So naturally; when we did this Math activity in class; our perceptions were rigid and lacked creativity. As I read the chapters on problem solving; I learned this important value - a paradigm shift! 

A teacher needs to have a paradigm shift. That as teachers we need to change our philosophy of how we think how children learn and how best we can help the kids. In the past; we used to learn Math as a subject with no concrete learning nor understood the concepts and neither did we do them tangibly which ended up with so many of us didn't do very well in Math in schools. Now, as preschool teachers we re-learn how to problem solve Math. Interesting indeed! As I look at the same problem 39 x 4 again; I adopt some strategies from the textbook on "Problem Solving Strategies" I tried using models, drawing a picture, using Guess & Check or even made a table or chart - to see the problem from different ways. Such methods I had never used before and I began to see new ideas and not so afraid to try problem solving. One important aspect I have learned in teaching children's problems; is to let the children talk about the problem they are solving. Ask them how they solve the problem? or why do they solve it that way? Why is their solution makes sense? Asking them such questions help them to reflect and rethink. As I think about these strategies; I am reminded once again to look at problem solving with different perspectives- paradigm shift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment