Sunday, September 12, 2010

Place Value

In my opinion; after using the sticks to teach the children tens and ones and followed by the use of blocks and coins; I will introduce:
i)  The place value chart. Reason being; children at this juncture had already grasped the concept of tens and ones in concrete experience, associating their knowledge to pictorial cards - Place Value Chart will solidify and further enhanced their understanding of tens and ones.
ii)  Next I will introduce to them the tens and ones notation. At this point; children would have understood 34 is 3 tens and 4 ones.
iii) Then with this understanding of 34 is 3 tens and 4 ones; I will introduce the expanded notation of 30 + 4 which is more complex.
iv) Next, I will introduce the numeral 34; as children by now will understand that 30 + 4 means 34.
v) Then the most complex is the number word "thirty-four" which I will introduce at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment